Sunday, March 30, 2008

Here are a few things I noted about Sir Thomas Mores first book of Utopia that I believe fit with our world today...

-"there lay vast deserts...men that were neither less wild nor less cruel than the beasts themselves"
-Nations have mutual commerce and trade by both land and sea
-"...which other people do not part with till they are old and sick, when they then unwillingly give that which they can enjoy no longer themselves"
-Princes of seperate nations will apply themselves to war over land rather than peace
-"...robbers prove sometimes gallant soldiers, so soldiers often prove brave robbers"
-nations train up armies to take over other nations and their land
-"If you teach wrong and punish them later, is that just?"
-God has commanded us not to kill

Here are a few notes of things that I did not agree with...

-"...they go lazily about their task, he may quicken them with a whip"
-"God treats us better than he did the Jews" (I dont believe God had anything to do with the horrible things that the Jews had to go through, it was strictly Hitler)
-Capital punishment for all crimes
-Asking someone to work under a prince because they believe it will help them

No comments: