Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Throughout the book 'Brave New World' we to be are able to see several characteristics that can be seen in our society today. For one thing there is "soma" in our world today. Drugs are a main source of relaxation and a kind of "get away" from the trouble of our daily lives. People take them able to not feel and get away from anything troubling them. There is also the use of music in 'Brave New World' which motivates the people to do/think in a certain way. We also use music to influence society with what we want customers to purchase or even think. Government wise music can be used to calm somthing down. As in comercials, tv, and movies music is used to enhance our fear or happiness within a situation. The publicity of our world can damage reputations and drive people crazy when they are always in the spotlight. Just as the press overwhelmed John and showed him at his most vulnerable times and opened his personal actions to the world. The publicity associated with both our worlds can cause a great deal of stress and anger, which overall hurts those involoved.

6 comments:

judithg said...

I found music an interesting similarity. I had never thought of the way they use music to be similar before now.

DanielleK said...

I have never thought about how we use music to influence people certain ways.

KatieL said...

I never thought of the music, it does have a brainwashing effect.

Anonymous said...

if there was actually soma in todays world everyone would do drugs, there isnt anything that effective without side effects

Frank said...

I also really like your point about music. I never really thought of how influential music can be without you ever realizing it.

hannahvinson said...

Ok I agree with Judith and Danielle I never really thought about the music but nice job.