Thursday, April 10, 2008

What connections have you seen between Utopia and BNW?
Throughout the reading of each of these books I have seen how each author has tried to make up a whole new society based on what they believe would be best for the human population. They both include the "sharing" of both objects and people. No one owns a whole lot, it is all for everyone. There are also newly formed governments which organize and govern everyone in this new world. They each also have areas they can escape to or visit when they want to get away and visit another society. I also think that each society does not seem very family oriented.
What seems good about BNW?
The only thing that seems good about BNW is that they are able to escape the realities of their world through the use of soma, although this is also just like a drug in the world today, so you are able to get away, but you are not really being yourself or living and feeling what you really should be. (I know this sounds confusing) The only other thing that I think is cool about this world is that they travel around in helicopters and they do not age, which is awesome.
What one thing troubles you most about it?
Mostly everything!! I hate how children are made in jars, people cannot love only one person, you cannot have a child, the social classes are something that you have no contol over, you have to wear specific colors, there are world leaders who are in charge of teaching everything to you, and they encourage children to become adult-like early on in their life.

5 comments:

judithg said...

I disagree on your position of soma being a good part of the BNW society. Soma seems to be another way of keeping anyone from becoming an individual. Soma takes away feeling, which may be nice sometimes, but I do not think the people are really living. I do agree with you on what is troubling about the book. People should be able to stay with one person if they love them.

NolanM said...

I also disagree with your statement on how everybody taking soma is a good thing. Soma acts like a drug. AIt does offer one to escape the realities of the the world around them, but it is not necessary to be happy. You should not be encouraged to taake a drug if your unhappy. Soma, to me, sounds like a fun anti-depressant. It makes you feel good for a while but then you go right back to sad.
Also, I believe we were to pick one ascpect of BNW to say was our worst but I agree with you on many of the things you said were bad. The one I touched on the most was the fact that nobody could get pregnant.

DanielleK said...

I disagree on the benefits you found in them having soma. I see it as an excape from reality which means their society really isn't as good as they make it seem. They shouldn't have to try to "take a holiday" if it's so good. I do agree, however, on what you found troubling in the book. People should have freedom of choice and be able to choose who to love and how to spend their free time.

Anonymous said...

Is there really no other connection than through boty societies removing individuality? I guess i never thought of takeing that away would be an effective way to control society and create a social harmony but the way the huxly ad more explain it, it kinda makes since. I agree with you that a cool thing about this society is escaping reality through soma and then when who come back to reality there are no bad side effects or a hang over infact maybie the ogv't should get to work on this "soma" thing. Just kidding Mrs. Stueve. But it does make a lot of sence to create something can ride anyone of there troubles and make them feel that good. As long as people are happy they dont question the system i guess.

KatieL said...

I agree with what you are saying on the connectinos between the two. Both societies do share, but in a different way, one where they share humans for jobs and the other shares each other sexually.
I agree with the aging thing, buy people do not live very long. I would want to live a little longer than that. I also do not think that is a good part of the society. Its changes the people who take it.
I also hate how everyone is color coded. Other people in society do not even have to talk to others to figure out intelligent levels. That takes the fun out of talking to poeple other that you.